Connect with us

Relationships

Prince Harry ‘Voluntarily’ Repays U.K. Taxpayers for Renovations of Frogmore Cottage

Published

on

Meghan+Markle+Prince+Harry+Meghan+Markle+Visit+qbZUj3fUxp3l
Meghan+Markle+Prince+Harry+Meghan+Markle+Visit+Z5gzpH8LsV6l

Getty

*Prince Harry has repaid 2.4 million pounds ($3.2 million) in British taxpayers’ money that was used to renovate his family’s home in Windsor. 

Harry and his wife, former actress Meghan Markle, briefly lived in the home before they quit royal life earlier this year and moved to California. 

In a statement on Monday, a spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirmed that Harry “fully covered” the renovation costs, which had originally been paid by the Sovereign Grant, a U.K. fund fueled by taxpayers, per PEOPLE

“A contribution has been made to the Sovereign Grant by the Duke of Sussex,” the statement said. “This contribution as originally offered by Prince Harry has fully covered the necessary renovation costs of Frogmore Cottage, a property of Her Majesty The Queen, and will remain the U.K. residence of the Duke and his family.”

READ MORE: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Ink Multi-year Deal with Netflix

Paying off the debt is part of Harry and Meghan’s goal of becoming financially independent.

“It is an important step that they have wanted to take,” says a source close to them. “It is something they have proactively wanted to do since the word go. They have taken the initiative to do so.”

“Finding Freedom” co-author Omid Scobie wrote on Twitter, “A source close to the duke tells me that he recently (and voluntarily) repaid the amount in full to the Sovereign Grant.”

News of the repayment comes days after Harry and Meghan’s multi-million dollar Netflix deal was announced. The partnership will see the couple produce documentaries, docu-series, feature films, scripted shows, and children’s programming.

“Our lives, both independent of each other, and as a couple have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit: of courage, resilience, and the need for connection,” Meghan and Harry said in a statement. “Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope.”

They added, “As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us, as is powerful storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens. We are pleased to work with Ted and the team at Netflix whose unprecedented reach will help us share impactful content that unlocks action.”

Harry and Meghan recently moved out of Tyler Perry’s lavish Los Angeles mansion and into their own home in an exclusive neighborhood in Santa Barbara, California

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Blind Items

BLIND ITEM: Singer is Completely Broke

Published

on

blind item

Man_silhouette-blind item

*The following Blind Item comes from Hollywood insider Enty Lawyer. Please address all inquiries and complaints to the original source.

This foreign born former A list singer in a group turned reality star is completely broke and selling off her possessions. She is desperate to get a host/judging job and is willing to hit the casting couch to do it.

Can you guess the former A list singer?

Continue Reading

Black Celebrity Gossip - Gossip

Michael B. Jordan to Adapt ‘Static Shock’ Comic Book for Warner Bros. and DC

Published

on

Michael+B+Jordan+BET+Presents+51st+NAACP+Image+qau857dQ-Xkl

Michael-B-Jordan-MBJAM-Charity-Event-2019-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Coach-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-1

*Michael B. Jordan is producing a movie based on the DC and Milestone Comics character Static, popularly known as Static Shock. 

Jordan announced the project Friday on Twitter, which he will produce through his Warner Bros.-based Outlier Society production company.

Here’s what Variety says of the plot: “The character is a teen who transforms into a superhero with electromagnetic powers. A “Static Shock” animated series aired on Kids’ WB in the early 2000s and was one of the few superhero series starring a Black character.”

“I’m proud to be a part of building a new universe centered around Black superheroes; our community deserves that,” Jordan said in a statement. “Outlier Society is committed to bringing to life diverse comic book content across all platforms and we are excited to partner with Reggie and Warner Bros. on this initial step.”

READ MORE: Michael B. Jordan Partners with LyftUp to Provide Free Rides to Underserved Communities

Virgil Hawkins, a.k.a. Static Shock, was created by Milestone Media and DC Comics in the 1990s. Jordan will produce a movie adaptation of the comic book, which was unveiled by Reginald Hudlin during August’s DC FanDome.

“One of the things we’re really excited about, we really want to live up to the name of the company, Milestone Media,” said Hudlin. “When we spoke to Jim [Lee] about reviving the Milestone line, we said ‘Look, we all know this has been a hit comic book and hit animated series. It’s time to expand back into all those areas and then some.’ So we’re in serious conversations about, as we’re launching the comic book series, developing the ‘Static Shock’ movie. That will be a theatrical feature film.”

During the DC FanDome panel where the film’s development was announced, Phil LaMarr, who voiced Static on the animated series in the early 2000s, said, “Virgil is what I always wanted as a comic book kid growing up: Black Spider-Man. A good story can make you live it, feel it, and when it does, it resonates on a whole other level….It touched on archetypes as a comic fan that I loved, but also touched on my life as a Black man in the real world.”

Jordan will next appear in the thriller “Without Remorse,” scheduled to be released next year.

Continue Reading

Black Celebrity Gossip - Gossip

Here’s Why Rapper Bobby Shmurda Was Denied Parole

Published

on

Bobby Shmurda
Bobby+Shmurda+Power+105+1+Powerhouse+2014+NNqdo5t8XCYl

Getty

*Court documents have been released showing why Bobby Shmurda was denied parole in September. 

We previously reported… the rapper will continue to serve his max prison sentence until December 2021, according to Variety.

Bobby has been locked up since December 2014, when more than 15 defendants were charged with various crimes, including murder, attempted murder and drug dealing. Shmurda was facing a maximum sentence of 8 – 25 years on charges of conspiracy to commit murder, reckless endangerment, and drug and gun possession, EUR previously reported.

READ MORE: Bobby Shmurda to Serve Max Sentence After Parole Denied

TMZ obtained court docs from the parole hearing and board members denied the Bobby’s release after he’s had “multiple” violations in jail. The New York-native is accused of having a shank, fighting, and drug possession.

Here’s more from TMZ:

Shmurda sees his situation differently with transcripts revealing that he made his own case to be freed. He said he doesn’t have impulsive behavior anymore, considers others in his decision-making, and walks away from bad situations when they occur. After telling the parole board that he wants to resume his music career when he’s released and become involved in outreach programs with troubled youth, he also said that he now sees himself as a “leader” rather than a follower. Additionally, he wants to get a high school G.E.D. when he gets out.

Unfortunately, he has to serve his entire seven-year sentence before that happens. 

“Following his Sept. 15, 2020 interview with the Board of Parole, Ackquille Pollard was denied release and given a hold until the maximum expiration of his sentence on December 11, 2021,” a spokesperson from the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision told Complex in September.

Continue Reading

The CultureCalendar: What's New & Black on TV

Trending