Wednesday, June 19, 2024

De La Soul ‘Unable to Reach Agreement” with Tommy Boy, Urge Fans Not to Stream Catalog

MTV+Lair+De+La+Soul+P+Money+Guests+HoKYEewh3M0l
L-R) Performers Trugoy, DJ Pasemaster ‘Mase’ and Posdnuos of De La Soul perform live on stage during MTV’s The Lair at the Metro Theatre on May 6, 2009 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Sergio Dionisio/Getty Images)

*Earlier this year, De La Soul announced that their catalog would be streaming but 90% of the money would go to their former label Tommy Boy Records. 

After months of negotiations, both sides failed to reach an agreement, with Tommy Boy noting that they’re “not in the business of giving artists back their masters.”

Now De La Soul are encouraging their fans to avoid streaming their music, Complex reports. 

“Well friends, after 30 years of profiting from our music and hard work… and after 7 long months of stalled negotiations, we are sad to say that we’ve been unable to reach an agreement and earn Tommy Boy’s respect for our music/legacy,” the group shared on Instagram. “With some helpful consulting and long careful consideration, we’ve decided we will not do our 30+ years the disservice of settling on Tom Silverman’s terms.”

OTHER NEWS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED: ‘Good Boys Hilariously Made with Kids, but Not for Kids (EUR Exclusive/WATCH)

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Well friends, after 30 years of profiting from our music and hard work… and after 7 long months of stalled negotiations, we are sad to say that we’ve been unable to reach an agreement and earn Tommy Boy’s respect for our music/legacy. With some helpful consulting and long careful consideration, we’ve decided we will not do our 30+ years the disservice of settling on Tom Silverman’s terms. Tommy Boy says they are “not in the business of giving artists back their Masters.” We realize, there is a process in reclaiming ownership but we do not trust Tommy Boy in this process after so many years of disappointment. Therefore, our catalog will not see the light of day by way of our involvement or consent. This means, if you see De La Soul music/albums available for streaming or purchase anywhere, BE AWARE, all parties involved WILL profit but De La Soul WILL NOT benefit or earn deservedly/fairly. We really tried. More details to come. Nevertheless, our fans have/will keep our legacy alive! We appreciate and ask for your continued support. Onto new things, new music and more amazing respectful business relationships. #dontpressplay #respectourlegacy #respecttheculture #tommyboycottcontinues #4080

A post shared by De La Soul (@wearedelasoul) on

The band previously announced that their first six albums, including “3 Feet High” and Rising,” “De La Soul Is Dead,” and “Buhloone Mindstate” —would be available to stream on major platforms such as Apple Music and Spotify. 

However, members Posdnuos, Trugoy, and Maseo explained on social media that they would not be fairly compensated for the digital releases. The group said they would only receive 10 percent of the profits, with the other 90 percent going to Tommy Boy.

The group is asking that fans not stream their catalog or buy their music, and spread the word with the hashtags #dontpressplay and #tommyboycottcontinues. 

“Tommy Boy says they are ‘not in the business of giving artists back their Masters.’ We realize, there is a process in reclaiming ownership but we do not trust Tommy Boy in this process after so many years of disappointment. Therefore, our catalog will not see the light of day by way of our involvement or consent,” they said. “This means, if you see De La Soul music/albums available for streaming or purchase anywhere, BE AWARE, all parties involved WILL profit but De La Soul WILL NOT benefit or earn deservedly/fairly. We really tried. More details to come.”

De la Soul encourages fans to purchase 2016’s “And the Anonymous Nobody” and 2004’s “The Grind Date,” two of their non-Tommy Boy albums that are available on streaming platforms.

We Publish News 24/7. Don’t Miss A Story. Click HERE to SUBSCRIBE to Our Newsletter Now!

YOU MAY LIKE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

SEARCH

- Advertisement -

TRENDING