Connect with us

Legal

Ben Crump Retained to Represent Ednitta Wright in Hampton Inn Discrimination Case

Published

on

ben crump (getty)

*Williamston, N.C. – Nationally renowned civil rights and personal injury attorney Ben Crump has been retained to represent Ednitta Wright, who was subjected to police interrogation for using a Hampton Inn pool with her children on June 28, although she was a guest at the hotel.

Attorney Crump issued the following statement about the case:

“It is outrageous that a Black mother and her children who are paying guests at a hotel are subjected to police questioning and forced to justify their right to use the pool. For a hotel employee to demand to see proof of being a guest only from the Black person and not the White people using the pool is blatant discrimination. And to call the police even after she presented proof she was a guest is clear harassment. We have reason to believe that this is not an isolated incident of discrimination and harassment but a pattern on the part of the hotel. We will seek justice for Ms. Wright and a change in the practices of this hotel toward Black Americans.”

READ THIS: 6-Year-Old Journei Brockman Wears #BLM T-Shirt to Daycare & Gets Kicked Out

ben crump (getty)

Ben Crump (Getty)

ABOUT BEN CRUMP LAW
Through his work, nationally renowned civil rights and personal injury attorney Ben Crump has spearheaded a legal movement to better protect the rights of marginalized citizens. He has led landscape-changing civil rights cases and represented clients in a wide range of areas including civil rights, personal injury, labor and employment, class actions, and more. Ben Crump Law is dedicated to holding the powerful accountable. For more information, visit bencrump.com.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Black Celebrity Gossip - Gossip

Will Smith Settles Lawsuit Over ‘King Richard’ Biopic About Father of Venus and Serena Williams

Published

on

Will+Smith+Bad+Boys+Life+Madrid+Photocall+cVrDsoa_4Bml

will smith and richard williams

*Will Smith’s Overbrook Entertainment has reached a settlement deal in a lawsuit over the rights to “King Richard” – the life story of Serena and Venus Williams’ father, Richard Williams.

We previously reported… Smith is set to play Richard in Warner Bros.’ upcoming film drama “King Richard.”

The project has hit a snag, however, as TW3 Entertainment and Power Move Multimedia filed a lawsuit against the studio and Smith’s Overbrook Entertainment production company, claiming breach of contract, among other things.

OTHER NEWS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED: Phil Collins Is Trending Because Two 21-Year-Olds Heard the ‘In The Air Tonight’ Beat Drop for the 1st Time and Lost It (Watch)

serena, richard williams

According to Deadline, Richard Williams himself, his son Chavoita Lesane, and production company Star Thrower Entertainment were named in the lawsuit.

“This case presents an unfortunate and tawdry situation: the cold and calculating misappropriation and interference with Plaintiffs’ intellectual property,” says the seven-claim complaint from TW3 Entertainment and Power Move Multi Media. “Plaintiffs’ good faith and contractually protected efforts to bring an amazing story into visual art form were met with Defendants’ greed and disregard for Plaintiff’s existing rights.”

Less than two months after the breach of contract complaint was filed, all parties have now reached a deal, according to Deadline.

Reps from WB said “The matter has been resolved informally.”

According to the legal docs, the parties “have entered into a settlement of this matter, and Plaintiffs are dismissing their claims against these defendants with prejudice,” said an order signed on August 7 by Judge Mel Red Recana. 

“King Richard,” directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green from a script written by Zach Baylin, is based on Williams’ 2014 memoir titled “Black and White: The Way I See It.” 

“King Richard” is expected to be released in 2021.

Continue Reading

Legal

Diamond Reynolds Settles Defamation Suit Against Minnesota Mayor, Receives Apology

Published

on

Diamond Reynolds

*Diamond Reynolds, the girlfriend of Philando Castile, has received an apology from Elysian, Minnesota Mayor Tom McBroom as part of her dropping a defamation lawsuit against him. 

Reynolds filed a defamation lawsuit last year against McBroom over his 2017 tweet where he stated she would spend her settlement money on “crack cocaine.”

If you recall, she and her four-year-old daughter were in the car with Castile when he was fatally shot in 2016 by now-former police officer Jeronimo Yanez during a traffic stop in St. Anthony, MN.

In November of 2017 she received a settlement of $800,000 from the city of St. Anthony, the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust and the city of Roseville in connection with the shooting.

However, McBroom, who was a Rice County sheriff’s sergeant at the time, apparently had a huge problem with her being awarded the settlement and took to Twitter to bitch about it:

“She needs to come off County and State Aid now that she has some cash. It’ll be gone in 6 months on crack cocaine.”

OTHER NEWS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED: Anika Noni Rose on What to Expect From Disney’s ‘Princess and the Frog’ Theme Park Ride

As a result of that tweet, McBroom was demoted by Sheriff Troy Dunn to deputy status in February 2018 for “misconduct.”

Reynolds, who livestreamed the aftermath of Castile’s fatal shooting in 2016, contended in her lawsuit that a tweet from McBroom, was defamatory, false and racially motivated. 

As reported by the Star Tribune, attorneys on both sides of the defamation suit declined to reveal terms of the settlement — other than releasing the mayor’s apology to Reynolds.

“I want to apologize to you for my remarks I made when you were awarded money for the loss of … Mr. Castile. From everything I have read since, he was a good person and well liked within his community and school. You lost a loved one and your daughter witnessed a violent act that no young child should ever have to witness.

“My comments were hurtful towards someone I did not know and should never have been written. I hope one day you will forgive me for those ignorant words. I am not the person who has hate for anyone. I hope, pray, and wish nothing but the best for you and your daughter moving forward.”

Reynolds was seeking more than $50,000 in damages in her defamation lawsuit.

Continue Reading

#BlackLivesMatter

Family of Stephon Clark Irate After CA District Attorneys Urge NFL To Pull PSA (Watch)

Published

on

2BDC0B70-97B9-4CEE-AABF-10D2F364CEF6_1_201_a
2BDC0B70-97B9-4CEE-AABF-10D2F364CEF6_1_201_a

Stevante Clark speaks out at a press conference about call for a PSA featuring his slain brother to be pulled by NFL

*The family of Stephon Clark, who was shot and killed by Sacramento police in 2018, is speaking out over demands that the NFL pull a new PSA spotlighting the case.

“Enough is enough. I am sick and tired of the smear campaign against my brother who is no longer here to defend himself. Shame, shame on Anne Marie Shubert, shame on the California District Attorney’s Union… shame, shame, shame,” Clark’s brother, Stevante Clark, said during a family press conference held Wednesday outside the Sacramento County District Attorney’s office.

Watch below:

The PSA is part of the NFL’s “Inspire Change” campaign, featuring Stephon Clark’s mother speaking about the death of her 22-year-old son at the hands of Sacramento police in 2018. The video is one in a series aimed at raising awareness about systemic racism and police use of force.

Watch below.

The California District Attorney’s Association claims the video misrepresents the facts, citing two legal reviews of the shooting that found it to be justified. In the letter the CDAA sent, they ask the NFL to “reexamine the factual findings of Stephon Clark’s death” and produce another video.

Continue Reading

The CultureCalendar: What's New & Black on TV

Trending