*With retail stores declining amid COVID-19, Lord & Taylor, one of the country’s oldest department store chains, is going out of business after filing for bankruptcy earlier this month.
The company announced Thursday that it will permanently close the remaining 38 stores and shut down its website. The retailer is currently holding going out of business sales in stores and online.
“While we are still entertaining various opportunities, we believe it is prudent to simultaneously put the remainder of the stores into liquidation to maximize value of inventory for the estate while pursuing options for the company’s brands,” Ed Kremer, Lord & Taylor’s chief restructuring officer said in a statement to CNN.
The store first opened in 1826 in New York. Its going-out-of-business sale was announced in a post on Instagram (see below).
“Discounts apply to existing inventory, new store arrivals and on new categories not previously sold at these stores,” liquidators Hilco Merchant Resources and Gordon Brothers said in a statement. “The historic event will also feature the sale of in store fixtures, furniture, and equipment.”
In the IG post, the company wrote, “Lord & Taylor is Going Out of Business! Shop today and save 20-40% off everything storewide! Buy One, Get One on kid’s apparel and swimwear for the entire family! Shop this Going Out of Business sale now while selection is best!”
The high-end retailer was in business for 194 years, but filed for bankruptcy on August 2.
Last year, Lord & Taylor was sold to the French rental clothing company Le Tote Inc. for a reported $100 million.
Following the bankruptcy filing, the company failed to find a new buyer.
Lord & Taylor was reportedly facing a grim financial future even before the coronavirus pandemic.
Last year, the 11-story famed flagship store on New York’s Fifth Avenue (which opened in 1914) was shut down. Amazon.com is reportedly turning the century-old building into an office for its tech workers.
Lamar Jackson of the Baltimore Ravens walks to the locker room during half time of the game against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium on November 15, 2020 in Foxborough, Massachusetts. (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
*With Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson reportedly testing positive for COVID-19, joining the multitude of recent positive tests in their organization, the team’s game that was scheduled Thanksgiving night against the Pittsburgh Steelers was moved to Sunday afternoon at 1:15 p.m. EST.
But the consequences of their COVID situation extend beyond Baltimore.
ESPN’s NFL reporter Adam Schefter joined SportsCenter yesterday to discuss Jackson’s positive test and what it could mean for the Ravens/Steelers matchup and future NFL games.
Baltimore’s COVID collapse:
This week, the Ravens placed outside linebacker Pernell McPhee on the Reserve/COVID-19, joining running backs Mark Ingram and J.K. Dobbins and defensive tackle Brandon Williams. Defensive end Jihad Ward, defensive end Calais Campbell, offensive linemen Patrick Mekari and Matt Skura were also among Ravens players placed on the Reserve/Covid-19 list. Also, the Ravens said Wednesday the team “disciplined” a staff member for conduct surrounding the recent COVID-19 cases affecting the organization.
Geraldo Rivera o Fox News out here suggesting the COVID vaccine be named after Trump (Nov 19, 2020)
*To soothe Donald Trump’s hurt feelings for losing his presidential re-election bid, his boy Geraldo Rivera proposed naming the COVID vaccine after him as a salve.
“I had an idea with the world so divided and everybody telling him he’s gotta give up and time to leave and time to transition … why not name the vaccine The Trump? Make it, like, ‘have you gotten your Trump yet?’ It would be a nice gesture to him. And years from now it would become kind of a generic name. Have you got your trump yet, I got my trump, I’m fine. I wished we could honor him in that way.”
Geraldo WHAT: “I had an idea with the world so divided and everybody telling [Trump] he’s gotta give up and time to leave and time to transition … why not name the vaccine The Trump, make it, like, ‘have you gotten your Trump yet?’ It would be a nice gesture to him.” pic.twitter.com/UjdMXGiBYb
This man is filmed calling his Lyft driver the “n-word” over being asked to put his mask back on in viral video
*In the latest viral video of a mask request devolving into a racist rant, a white couple gets upset and starts slinging the n-word at their Lyft driver after he asked that the man put his mask “back on.”
Lyft has permanently banned the man following the incident that occurred Tuesday (Nov. 17) in Issaquah, Washington. according to Newsweek.com. The driver. David Kangogo, said he had picked up a couple at about 9.30 p.m. when, mid-ride, he noticed the man had taken off his mask. Lyft requires both drivers and riders to wear face coverings in the COVID-19 pandemic.
“So I said, ‘Sir, could you kindly put your mask on,'” Kangogo, 30, told Newsweek.
“He ignored me the first time, I repeated [it] and told him he’s putting me at risk and all the other passengers I pick up after him.”
Kangogo said that’s when the man, identified only as Joe, called him the n-word.
“He said, ‘Oh, shut up n*****, you don’t know s***,” Kangogo said. “So I just pulled over and got out of the car and told them I have canceled the ride, they can go ahead and get another driver.”
The video begins with the man exiting the car and telling Kangogo, “You’re a sand n****r. That’s what you are. You’re a f**king sand n****r.”