Connect with us

Urban Radio

Russell Simmons Rape Accuser Slams ‘Breakfast Club’ Over ‘Tone Deaf’ Interview [VIDEO]

Published

on

russell simmons

*Russell Simmons appeared on the Breakfast Club recently to slam the sexual assault claims leveled against him in HBO Max’s “On the Record” documentary.

“I have not watched it,” he said, when asked if he has seen the doc. “I’m guilty—of having underwritten, supported, made soundtracks for, taken advantage of, and lived in a grossly unjust society. I helped write the song ‘I’m a Ho’ with Whodini. … I made the movie How to Be a Player and Bell Bellamy played me. So I know what I’m guilty of, and I’ve been unconscious as a playboy, and today the title is appropriate of ‘womanizer,’” Simmons said. “So I’m guilty of that. And you know, back then I thought it was a game.”

We reported earlier.. in “On the Record,” one of his accusers, Sil Lai Abrams, claims she was raped by Simmons in 1994. She recently slammed Simmons for moving to Bali to avoid being held accountable for his alleged sex crimes.

OTHER NEWS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED: Janelle Monae Says Her Interracial, Gay Love Story on ‘Homecoming’ is ‘Type of Representation We Need’

“He is not the everyday Black man. He is a man that has been credibly accused of sexual misconduct and assault of at least twenty women that we know of. I wish that the statute of limitations of rape would be retroactive and that we could have that day in court….” said the activist.

Following Simmons’ appears on The Breakfast Club, Abrams called on the radio show for giving him a platform.

“Why do you carry water for this man?” she tweeted. “Why now? Why are you so tone deaf? You’re all complicit in ensuring that black women’s right to bodily autonomy continues to be denied. You’re also rape apologists.”

In a follow up post she wrote, “Stunts like what @breakfastclubam is pulling this morning by having Russell Simmons on to talk about *social justice of all things* is why it took over 25 years for R. Kelly to start to be held accountable for his serial predation of Black women and girls.”

Abrams previously shared her story about Simmons, so when someone on Twitter asked why she is “relitigating 30 year old stories,” she said “I wrote about the rape in my first and second books. 2007 and 2016 respectively.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Black Celebrity Gossip - Gossip

Michael Rainey, Jr. (‘Power Book II: Ghost’) Visits ‘The Real’ – Says 2020 is His Best Year Yet! / WATCH

Published

on

Michael Rainey Jr (the real)
Michael Rainey Jr (the real)

Michael Rainey Jr. and The Real crew

*On Wednesday, Dec. 2, on “The Real,” Michael Rainey, Jr. drops in to chat about Power Book II: Ghost and why 2020 may actually have been his best year yet!

Also, Ricardo Chavira visits to talk about his role as Abraham Quintanilla, Selena’s father, in Selena: The Series, on Netflix. He also explains his initial hesitation in taking the part.

And co-host Garcelle Beauvais reveals what her 2020 Word Of The Year is – and it is NOT what her co-hosts expected!

Michael Rainey, Jr. Explains Why 2020 Might Have Been His Best Year Yet!

Why Ricardo Chavira Was Initially Hesitant To Play Selena’s Father

Garcelle Reveals Her 2020 Word Of The Year – It’s Not What The Hosts Expected!

 

Continue Reading

Black Celebrity Gossip - Gossip

Mickey Guyton: First Black Female Solo Artist to Earn Grammy Nod in Country Music Category

Published

on

Mickey+Guyton+CMA+Songwriters+Event+Phoenix+U35HjRdYr76l
Mickey+Guyton+Lifetime+Presents+Special+Screening+fY-OTAtyoQel

Getty

*Mickey Guyton has become the first Black female solo artist to earn a Grammy nomination in a country music category. 

The 37-year-old singer’s “Black Like Me” song has been nominated for Best Country Solo Performance. The Pointer Sisters previously made history with the song, “Live Your Life Before You Die,” when it was nominated in 1976 for Best Country Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group. 

After the nominations were announced last week, Guyton shared an emotional video about her historic nomination. 

“Honestly still can’t believe this happened yesterday,” she captioned the clip (see below).

READ MORE: The Weeknd Calls Out ‘Corrupt’ Grammys After 2021 Nominations Snub

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Mickey Guyton (@mickeyguyton)


“I haven’t been able to put into words the emotions I feel right now. I have been hitting the pavement for so long just trying to get an opportunity to be heard. And now here I am nominated for a Grammy!” Guyton continued. “I feel seen. I feel heard. I am a living testament that you should never give up on yourself. You never know what God has waiting for you around the corner.”

“This Grammy nomination is for every black girl that felt unseen. That felt unheard. That felt unloved. That felt like they weren’t enough. That felt unpretty. That felt shoved in a corner and completely unconsidered. This is for them,” she added. 

In September, Guyton became the first Black woman to perform at the Academy of Country Music Awards.

“That phrase, ‘You see it, you can be it’ really rings true, and I just — standing here for other women of color, it means the world to me,” she said. “That’s why I’m here,” she told ET at the ACM Awards.

Fun fact: Guyton is one of the original members of 3LW. Her former bandmate Adrienne Houghton had nothing but praise for her during a recent conversation on “The Real,” about the 2021 Grammy nominees. 

“When I got my first record deal, when Tommy Mottola signed me to Epic, the original members of my group actually had a girl named Mickey Guyton in it – she was the original member of 3LW, and she is now this incredible country artist that just got nominated as well. Saw this woman in tears – Mickey Guyton, amazing – she’s actually the original member of 3LW! Fun fact, everybody! She’s the one that got the record deal with us,” Houghton shared.

WATCH:

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Mickey Guyton (@mickeyguyton)

Continue Reading

Black Celebrity Gossip - Gossip

Tyrese Says He and Dwayne Johnson Haved Squashed 3-year Feud [VIDEO]

Published

on

dwayne johnson, tyrese

tyrese, the rock, dwayne johnson

*Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and Tyrese have reportedly ended their 3-year feud.

The two actors’ public beef first began in 2017 when Tyrese publicly criticized The Rock for signing on to do a spinoff of the “Fast & Furious” franchise.

At the time, Tyrese called Dwayne “selfish” for agreeing to do the “Hobbs & Shaw,” spinoff. The two starred in four “Fast & Furious” films together and Tyrese also said Johnson wouldn’t respond to his text messages despite the two having been friends.  

READ MORE: Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Sees No Reason to Squash ‘One-sided’ Beef with Tyrese [Video]

Dwayne+Johnson+Premiere+Sony+Pictures+Jumanji+BlgnoAYQCrll

Getty

Dwayne previously said it was “pretty disappointing” that Tyrese made their disagreement so public. 

“I always feel like a beef requires two people to actually jump in it, and it was really one-sided, and he had voiced his opinion a lot on social media,” Dwayne said. “Apparently, he was going through some stuff too in his personal life. We haven’t talked and I don’t see where we would, and to me, there’s no need to have a conversation.”

Now, it seems things have apparently cooled between the two men. 

“We talked,” Tyrese told Comedy Central’s Stir Crazy with Josh Horowitz this week. “We talked for at least four hours. It was great.”

“What’s interesting about ‘The Fast and The Furious’ is it’s not about any of us individually,” he continued, speaking specifically about the franchise’s spinoffs. “We’re like the UN at this point. Everyone gets to go to the theater and say, ‘He and she looks like me.’ If I did it with [Ludacris’ Tej], then who are we going to play off of? I could not just make it about me. I just could not.”

What do you think of Tyrese’s take on the “Fast and Furious” franchise? Let us know in the comments. 

WATCH:

Continue Reading

Trending