*Mother’s Day is always an important time for Red Table Talk because the Red Table was born on the holiday. However, this year it’s even more special as Jada, Willow and Gammy celebrate heroic mothers who are on the front lines of the fight against coronavirus with the help of celebrity friends Sandra Bullock and gospel singer Tamela Mann. Watch the episode above via Facebook Watch.
In this episode…
- April Buencamino, nurse manager and mother of two, is surprised with a video call from Sandra Bullock who begins to tear up as she thanks April for her service. Sandra’s daughter Laila also joins the call for a special message for April! Additionally, the Will & Jada Smith Family Foundation donated $50,000 to April’s hospital and the Smith family will send April’s family on a vacation of her choice in the future.
- “Thank you for everything that you’re doing. We get to sit here and be home with our families because you are out there doing the hard, hard, hard work. And there’s not a dinner and a grace that goes by without us sending you the love and the appreciation and the gratitude that we as a family have because we are safe.” – Sandra Bullock
- “Thank you April for doing everything for everyone.” – Laila Bullock
- “You know I was a nurse myself. I actually just retired about two years now. We salute you!” – Gammy
- Yolanda Fisher, cafeteria manager in North Texas who has served 3 million meals to students during the pandemic, is surprised by Grammy-award winning gospel singer Tamela Mann who sings Yolanda’s favorite song, “Take Me To The King.” Then, the Will & Jada Smith Family Foundation donated $50,000 to the Dallas Independent School District to buy food to support Yolanda’s mission and the Smith family surprised her with a $10,000 gift certificate.
- “I watched my brother’s mother raise five of her grandchildren, and I got to see what that struggle looked like.” – Jada
- Tammy Rivera, single mother of two and Uber driver in Memphis who has delivered up to 60 meals a night for the last seven weeks to hospital workers caring for COVID-19 patients, was gifted a brand new eco-friendly car from the Will & Jada Smith Family Foundation.
- Dr. Ala Stanford, Will’s personal physician and mother of three who created a one-of-a-kind COVID-19 mobile testing unit for those in Philadelphia’s most under-served neighborhoods, received a $50,000 donation from the Will & Jada Smith Family Foundation so she can continue her work.
- Be sure to check out the credits at the end as well! The Red Table Talk staff used their mothers’ names in the credits instead of their own to pay tribute to the women who raised them.