*It seems to be the new normal so we’re going to give it to you straight, no chaser. On Saturday, as of this report, at least 3 people have been killed in a shooting in El Paso, Texas.
Suspects are in custody, says Olivia Zepeda, the chief of staff to the city’s mayor. It wasn’t immediately clear how many people were in custody or how many had been hurt.
Multiple victims were reported injured at a Walmart, CNN affiliate KTSM reported.
Police responded Saturday to an active shooter in the area of the Cielo Vista Mall, they tweeted.
“Scene is still active,” police wrote at 1:03 p.m. ET, adding, “avoid the area” around Hawkins and Gateway East boulevards.
Police got reports of multiple shooters and were “conducting (a) search of a very large area,” they tweeted just after 2 p.m. ET.
CHARLAMAGNE SAYS MO’NIQUE NEEDS TO FIND ‘PEACE’ AFTER SHE BLASTS HIM FOR BEING ‘DESTRUCTIVE’ TO BLACK COMMUNITY [VIDEO]
Agents from the FBI office in El Paso are responding to the incident, the office told CNN.
A second mall about 2.5 miles away from Cielo Vista is also on lockdown, according to an employee at a liquor store attached to the mall.
Authorities put the mall on lockdown because of the reported shooting at Cielo Vista, Frankie Nunez, an employee at Bassett WB Liquors & Wine, said.
Also, an employee at the Target store at Bassett Place also confirmed the mall had been placed on lockdown.
Dan Patrick, Texas’ lieutenant governor, said that the suspect in custody is a 21-year-old male.
Reports on social media indicate that a manifesto written by the alleged shooter has been making the rounds on various web sites.
Police said that there is no further threat. There were earlier reports of possible multiple gunmen.
A local NBC affiliate, KTSM-TV, is reporting that at least 18 people were shot, though the extent of their injuries is unknown.
The University Medical Center of El Paso told NBC News that it has received at least 10 victims with ‘Level 1’ injuries, which is the most serious level.