Monday, November 29, 2021

Jussie Smollett Turns Over Phone Records to Detectives That Are ‘Not Sufficient’

jussie smollett

*”Empire” star Jussie Smollett has finally turned over partial records of his cellphone use to detectives investigating an alleged assault by two masked men who hurled racial and homophobic slurs at him last month.

“Phone records from Jussie’s manager were sent to police on Feb. 5 and Jussie’s records were sent over this morning. Both were sent to Chief of Staff to the Superintendent of Police, Robert Boik, who confirmed receipt,” a spokesperson for the actor said in an email.

The Chicago PD also confirmed this in a statement Monday.

“Chicago Police received limited and redacted phone records from the victim. These records will be analyzed by detectives and we will be in contact with the victim should additional information be needed.”

“Usually when we ask people to hand over their records, they just hand over their phone,” Chicago PD spokesman Howard Ludwig said.

Here’s the rub. According to the Chicago Tribune, a spokesperson for police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said the records “are not sufficient and do not meet the burden of a criminal investigation.” The spokesperson added that police might require additional information from Smollett.

OTHER NEWS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED:  The Game & New Album Get Attention of Alleged Sexual Assault Victim Owed $7 Million

jussie smollett - podium1

As we previously reported, cops requested Smollett’s phone records to confirm his statement that he was on a call with his manager Brandon Z. Moore during the attack. Both allege the actor was called a “f—-t” and a “n—-r” and Moore insists he also heard the assailants yell “MAGA country.”

“We have no reason to doubt the statements, but for a criminal investigation, we need to independently confirm the phone records,” Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told The Post on Sunday.

Smollett was allegedly attacked last month in Chicago by two masked males who doused him with bleach and tied a noose around his neck. He reportedly transported himself to a local hospital and was released hours later in “good condition.”

Meanwhile, New York Post reports that two weeks after Smollett made headlines for being the victim of an alleged hate crime, his neighbors are speaking out and they’re not buying his story.

“I don’t believe it happened the way he said it did,” said Agin Muhammad, who lives in the same high-rise as Smollett. “I’ve been in this neighborhood five years. I don’t believe it, not around here … Half the people are gay and the other half are black.”

Jussie Smollett will reportedly speak about the incident in an interview for “Good Morning America” on Tuesday with Robin Roberts.

 

Ny MaGee
Ny MaGee is a screenwriter and freelance reporter from Chicago -- currently living in Los Angeles and covering A-list entertainment for various outlets, including Emmys.com. She has worked for: Miramax, MTV & VH1, The Jim Henson Company, Hallmark Channel, Paramount Pictures, and for iconic indie film producer Roger Corman.

YOU MAY LIKE

1 COMMENT

  1. As a former Law Enforcement Officer it obvious Jussie Smollett is hiding some facts. He didn’t call Police until 45 minutes after the incident took place. He had his cell phone on him and if he had called police once he got safe distance from his alleged attackers there was a good chance they would have been caught. His handing over a redacted phone call shows he is hiding the exact dialog of the alleged confrontation. All in all his delay in reporting the incident and his lack of cooperation is looking suspicious on his part. In my personal opinion if there was a confrontation Mr. Smollett may have been the instigator and is covering up not to lose face and the other party doesn’t want to come forward because of the media coverage of the whole event.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

SEARCH

THE CULTURECALENDAR: WHAT'S NEW & BLACK ON TV

TRENDING