Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Suge Knight Gets 28 Year Sentence & Says Dr. Dre Tried to Have Him Killed [LISTEN]

*Former Death Row CEO Suge Knight has been sentenced to nearly three decades in prison for the 2015 manslaughter of the man he ran over on the set of “Straight Outta Compton,” and according to a new report, the rap icon believes one man is responsible for landing him behind bars: Dr. Dre.

Knight spoke exclusively to The Blast via telephone in his first interview since accepting a plea deal that has landed him behind bars for 28 years. Touching on a wide range of topics, he opened up about his health, why he took the plea deal and his belief that Dre paid two men to kill him.

OTHER NEWS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED: Kelly Rowland Tapped to Play Gladys Knight in BET’s ‘Soul Train’ Scripted Series

Knight’s believes Dre put a hit out on him and the trial brought to light the circumstances that led to the two men confronting Suge on that fatal day at Tam’s Burgers in Compton. Suge said the two men he ran over had been hired by Dre to kill him

via The Blast:

Their ongoing beef can be traced back to the 90s, when the two hip-hop bosses stopped broke off their business relationship. Knight has claimed that he struck a deal a lifetime deal with Dre to collect 30% of the producer’s earnings, and that Dre’s $3 billion deal between Apple and Beats is subject to the terms of their agreement.

Because Knight tried to collect the money, he believes that Dre not only put a hit out on him that day at Tam’s Burgers, but also during a 2014 nightclub shooting that left him riddled with multiple gunshot wounds. He thinks Tam’s was put in place because he survived the nightclub shooting.

“They also got the paper trail with all the checks and proof of when they talked to the witnesses saying that Dre came to them first and asked the two guys how much it cost to get rid of me,” Knight says. “And they said, ‘What you mean by get rid of?’ And they said, ‘Kill him.’”

He describes it as a “murder-for-hire case” and sued Dre in 2016 for being the mastermind.

As for why Suge decided to take the plea deal, he explained…

“So when they gave me an attorney,” Suge explains, “he seen me two times in eight months and told me he went to the court and said he needed help and other attorneys. And they told him no. He said no way he can do my trial because he really don’t know the case and he won’t win.”

He adds, “So if somebody stacks the deck against you, to the point where they’re not trying to fight for you, and let you get the attorneys you wish to have, what can you do?”

When asked if he thinks he’ll see the light of day again?

“Absolutely,” 53-year-old Suge tells The Blast. “Of course.”

Ny MaGee
Ny MaGee is a screenwriter and freelance reporter from Chicago -- currently living in Los Angeles and covering A-list entertainment for various outlets, including Emmys.com. She has worked for: Miramax, MTV & VH1, The Jim Henson Company, Hallmark Channel, Paramount Pictures, and for iconic indie film producer Roger Corman.

YOU MAY LIKE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

SEARCH

THE CULTURECALENDAR: WHAT'S NEW & BLACK ON TV


TRENDING