*A large crowd has gathered outside Kensington Palace this morning to celebrate and discuss their feelings on the announced engagement of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle.
The prince, fifth in line to the throne, will marry the American actress in spring 2018 and they’ll live at Nottingham Cottage in Kensington Palace, London, according to the BBC.
The couple, who have been dating since the summer of 2016, secretly got engaged earlier this month.
The two posed for photographs outside Kensington Palace this morning, with Prince Harry saying he was “thrilled” and it had been a romantic proposal. Markle, sporting a white belted coat, held Harry’s hand as they stood briefly for photos and showed off her diamond engagement ring.
Asked by a reporter when he knew Markle “was the one,” Prince Harry said: “The very first time we met.”
Announcing his son’s news on Twitter, Prince Charles also said he was “thrilled,” adding that Markle’s parents had given their blessing.
Only the Queen and “other close members of his family” initially knew of the engagement, which took place in London, Prince Charles said.
Prince Harry & Meghan Markle arrive for a photocall at Kensington Palace Gardens on the day their engagement is announced. pic.twitter.com/YkcEvosY9L
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
Markle, the 35-year-old daughter of an African American mother and white father, is best known for playing paralegal Rachel Zane in the USA network drama “Suits.” She has also worked with the United Nations on gender equality and is a global ambassador for the charity World Vision Canada, traveling to Rwanda earlier this year to campaign for clean water.
In November 2016, Prince Harry released a rare statement both confirming his relationship with Markle and condemning the racist coverage of her background by the British press.
“Some of this has been very public – the smear on the front page of a national newspaper, the racial undertones of comment pieces; and the outright sexism and racism of social media trolls and web article comments,” read Harry’s statement from Kensington Palace.
Read the full statement below:
Kensington Palace has issued a statement this morning about the harassment currently being experienced by Meghan Markle and her family. pic.twitter.com/EuFZ4fmUIj
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 8, 2016