*Following her Instagram videos seeking donations for Puerto Rico, Jennifer Lopez has reached into her own pocket in a big way to assist the island that has been destroyed by Hurricane Maria.
Lopez flew to the Big Apple from her show in Las Vegas Sunday morning to join Gov. Andrew Cuomo at a press conference announcing aid to Puerto Rico. The entertainer pledged one million dollars from proceeds of her Las Vegas shows.
“[Former New York Yankees player and Lopez’s boyfriend] Alex Rodriguez and I, who are both New Yorkers, are using all our resources and relationships in entertainment, sports and business to garner support for Puerto Rico and the Caribbean,” said Lopez, speaking first in Spanish, then in English.
Aside from her own hefty donation, the performer said that those who have already pledged to help in a major way are the Yankees and Major League Baseball.
Likewise, she and ex-husband Marc Anthony, who still collaborate together on several projects, are working to mobilize more than 30 athletes and artists to get aid to the Caribbean and Mexico in the fastest way possible.
Lopez also said she is working with Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Puerto Rican player J.J. Barea, who have two airplanes full of help and generators ready to fly to the island.
“We are working day and night to identify the needs,” Lopez said to thundering applause. She and Anthony had both previously posted Instagram videos in Spanish (Anthony) and English (Lopez) asking the public to support Puerto Rican first lady Beatriz Rossello’s efforts through unitedforpuertorico.com.
View J.Lo’s press conference below, followed by her video pleas for help via Instagram: