*According to reports, today “Meet the Press“ moderator Chuck Todd announced that Donald Trump would no longer be allowed to call into the program.
Todd told the NY Times on Friday that from now on Trump will have to appear in-person.
On Friday, Chuck Todd, the moderator of “Meet the Press,” told me he had only grudgingly allowed Mr. Trump to call in to his show earlier in the campaign, determining that he would rather have Mr. Trump take questions via phone than not at all.Now, Mr. Todd said, he will no longer allow Mr. Trump to do prescheduled interviews by phone on the NBC program.
Also, Chris Wallace, host of Fox News’ “Fox News Sunday,” defended his decision to not allow Trump to make call-in interviews on his program. Wallace said he thought a potential “ratings hit” would be “a line worth holding.”
This is a big deal. Read the info below to find out why and sign the Media Matters petition to pressure the networks from letting Trump do his interviews via phone.
Tell The Networks: Revoke Donald Trump’s Special Phone Privileges Immediately
The phone privilege can give Trump the upper hand in his interviews, and it allows him to appear on more shows than he could if he had to visit the networks in person. That’s why we launched our campaign to tell networks to cut off Trump’s special phone access — and now we know that the networks are listening.
Sign The Petition And Add Your Voice: http://mm4a.org/trumpphone
Make no mistake: Meet the Press cutting off Trump is just the beginning. There are plenty of other problems with the media coverage of Trump, but with your help we can make a difference on this right now. It’s crucial to keep the pressure on the networks, telling each and every one of them that they cannot allow a candidate to abuse them like this. So please, sign the petition and share it with your friends and family. With your help, even more networks and more shows will dump Trump’s special privilege.
Thank you for your participation. It matters.
— John Whitehouse
Digital Director, Media Matters