*The 88th Academy Awards is history and so is Chris Rock‘s opening monologue which took dead aim at #OscarsSoWhite.
Obviously tackling something as controversial as that is going yield mixed results, depending on one’s point of view.
Overall, we thought Rock did a great job of walking the very thin line that came with the job. He did of course deliver a bunch of zingers. Here are 5 we chose to spotlight.
1. “I’m here at the Academy Awards, otherwise know as White People’s Choice Awards.”
2. “If they nominated hosts, I wouldn’t even get this job. Y’all would be watching Neil Patrick Harris right now.”
3. “People were like, ‘Chris, you should boycott. Chris, you should quit.’ How come it’s only unemployed people that tell you to quit something? No one with a job ever tells you to quit.”
4. “Black people did not protest [in the 60s] because we had real things to care about… Too busy being raped and lynched to care about who won Best cinematographer.”
5. “Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties; I wasn’t invited.”
Oh Lord, can we get an “ouch!” for that? In any event, if you missed it and want the full treatment, here ya go: