Connect with us

Entertainment

We Remember: Legendary Bassist Louis Johnson (Brothers Johnson) Dies at 60

Published

on

louis johnson

*Sadly as we enter the Memorial Day Weekend, we have to report the death of funk and R&B bassist Louis Johnson of the Brothers Johnson. He died at age 60 on Thursday (05-21-15).

As of this posting, the details of his passing are not known, but Johnson’ death was confirmed by his nephew Troy on Instagram. In addition to being a founding member of the Brothers Johnson with his brother George, Louis was a longtime collaborator of Quincy Jones. You can hear his artistry on Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and “Off the Wall,” and even Jones’ “Mellow Madness” album.

Back in the mid-70s to early 80s the Brothers Johnson was all over the radio and R&B and Pop charts with hits like 1976’s “I’ll Be Good to You,” 1977’s “Strawberry Letter 23” and 1980’s “Stomp!” In fact, fans of the Brothers Johnson will recall that their 1976 debut, “Look Out for #1” was produced by Jones and even could brag that the King of Pop, Michael Jackson sang back up on their 4th platinum release, “Light Up the Night.”

But what made Louis Johnson stand out for a lot of music fans was his style of playing which earned him the nick name of “Thunder Thumbs.” And as Billboard points out, he was also one of the pioneers of slap bass, making him an in-demand session player for everyone from Stanley Clarke to Donna Summer. Many of his classic grooves for artists like George Duke and Michael McDonald have also received a second life as some of hip-hop’s most popular samples.

“He was a dear and beloved friend and brother,” Quincy Jones told Rolling Stone, “and I will miss his presence and joy of life every day.”

Read/learn MORE about the death of legendary bassist Louis Johnson at Rolling Stone.

Watch/listen to musical tribute to Louis Johnson with music from the Brothers Johnson:

BONUS: Louis Johnson jams and performs Billie Jean (Michael Jackson) [live]:

19 Comments

19 Comments

1. straightnochaser

May 22, 2015 at 7:15 pm

No! They were one of my faves during the seventies, and I was really hoping they’d have a reunion. Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

2. ladyellle

May 22, 2015 at 7:56 pm

RIP. I loved the Brothers Johnson!

3. richard hughes

May 22, 2015 at 10:13 pm

HE WILL BE TURLY MISS ILOVE THE BROTHERS JOHNSON

4. biglistener

May 22, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Best bass player EVER! HANDS DOWN. I saw the Brothers Johnson live and Louis lit the place up with his bass. RIP!

5. nylaconnect

May 22, 2015 at 11:06 pm

I did a double take when I was on radiofacts. and saw that this brother passed away.

Louis along with his brother George helped elevate my taste in music,they really gave you your moneys worth when you purchased their albums.,props for that,because I was a kid and it was a great investment.

I first remember hearing them on Q’s Mellow Madness Album,Is It Love That We’re Missing.but I could have heard them before but just didn’t know it. Then they came out with their own jams and they were jams,some vocal,some instrumental,all sounded great.They had their own sound and it was never duplicated!

I hate to have to single out Get The Funk Out of My Face but we used to sing that song, and we changed funk to well you know.

It was so much fun to do that with big smiles on our faces,cause we thought that was what they were saying and we loved it..And when we found out it wasnt,we still said it.

That was up there with Shit goddamn get off your ass and jam by Funkadelic.

Shout out to Ken Spider Webb who played their song Tomorrow damn near every time he cracked the mike when he did mornings on WBLS!

They continued to crank out the hits,a lot of them not just the pop ones and I am a big fan. To me their music was really well put together,mellow,cool,funky and fun.

So sorry to hear Thunder Thumbs has left us.

Thank you Louis and you George and the rest of the crew for again helping to mold my musical taste. I officially feel older now,but not old,lol..

Now I guess they will be on Unsung,because it seems like that show always has a sad ending.

6. D.Butler

May 23, 2015 at 10:37 am

God Bless the family of Louis Johnson. I remember George and Louis from Crenshaw High School. May the music memory live on. I have followed them since the 1970’s. Thank you Bros. Johnson for your musical style. Luv ya’ll.

7. Lori Maloney

May 23, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Another great loss this year! Brothers Johnson music helped define the 70’s. Strawberry Letter 23 and Stomp are unforgettable, My condolences to the Johnson family.

8. Lori Maloney

May 23, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Oops, typo Strawberry Letter 22!

9. My opinion

May 23, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Condolences to the Johnson Family, and I’m happy that both brothers put their issue aside before George died. May God rest his soul.

• My opinion

May 23, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I meant to type before Louis died.

10. neubauer

May 23, 2015 at 11:19 pm

I have loved the Brothers Johnson over the years and to hear of his death has pained me to the utmost.Condolences to the Johnsons.

11. HJPalmer

May 24, 2015 at 1:00 am

Like anotha album title that came out in the mid 70s by anotha great phunky a** group by the name of Graham Central Station (aka) GCS in later dates & times of course if you were able to hitch a ride on (tpxt)/ the phunk xpress train of which (GCS) apptly had an album titled (Ain’t No Bout A Doubt It) of which as George Johnson said it in their song (ROT) phrom the 1977 album of the same title of course he said that the (PHUNK WUZ COMING) Right On Time …….. And guess wut people around the world (THE BROTHERS JOHNSON) kept true too their word & brought it to the entire world for the whole world to hear. Not only did we hear it …….. We phelt the vibe & we let the vibe phlow thru ……… Yes GOD puts us all for a reason & Louis (THUNDER THUMBS) Johnson proved that thru out his time here on earth that evry person has a purpose in life …….. And his wuz to show the world wut his purpose wuz & he lived up to that ……….. Now go on (TT) & phinally (RIP/RIH) (04/13/55 – 05/21/15) you’ve proved you made your impact to the world now go on
    home LOUIS ? JOHNSON go on home & phinally rest & relax our (Brother)………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Derrick

May 24, 2015 at 5:27 am

One of the baddest bass players of our generation. RIP Mista Cool!

13. Lorraine

May 24, 2015 at 9:06 pm

RIP my brother Louis. I go way back as a fan of the brothers. They truly exercised their God given talent by always giving 100 percent heart and soul performances. I remember dancing and watching these brothers perform back stage at Mount Carmel High School in Los Angeles.
    I graduated with George from Crenshaw High in 71. They were very popular and kept us
    dancing in the Multi-Purpose Room. Keeping your family in my prayers…

14. Peaches

May 25, 2015 at 11:18 pm

RIP LOUIS JOHNSON, MY CONDOLENCES TO THE JOHNSON FAMILY LIFTING YOU UP IN PRAYER

15. [email protected]

May 28, 2015 at 7:49 am

Louis Johnson RIP. The music of the Brothers Johnson was truly Funky, Mad Cool, And Yes For Real. The music is and will always be legendary…So many memories…May your next adventure be forever filled with music, and of course your BASS

16. Kara

June 10, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Please join this page to get some justice for Uncle Louis. A gorgeous soul and gifted human being that should have and should continue after his death to be treated humanely https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1597868160492334&ref=m_notif&notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite&actorid=1125654652 please like, share and invite.

17. John Phillips

July 1, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Today is 7-1-15 and I’m still in shock over the passing of Louis Johnson,my bass playing hero.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

** FEATURED STORY **

Doctor Dre: Former ‘Yo! MTV Raps’ Host Loses Leg to Diabetes / VIDEO

Published

on

Andre dr dre Brown1 - GettyImages-1264098642c
Andre dr dre Brown - GettyImages-1264098642c

Andre ‘Dr. Dre’ Brown

*The other “Dr. Dre,” Andre Brown, of “Yo! MTV Raps” fame, has been hit with another setback to his health.

Brown, 56, who’s been battling diabetes for years recently announced that he had a leg amputated and his family started a GoFundMe account to help with the medical costs.

Via Rolling Stone, Dre said on Memorial Day that he slipped and fell down a flight of stairs at his sister’s house. He suffered an injury to his right ankle, and later developed a life-threatening infection.

“The infection that was in my feet had started eating away at my bones,” he told the publication. “If I had waited another day, I’d have been septic, and I could’ve died.”

The bottom line is that doctors amputated his leg below the calf. He was fitted with a prosthetic and underwent physical therapy.

As was previously reported, Dre developed diabetes around a decade ago and last year he had lost his sight.

MORE NEWS: Mo’Nique Becomes the Latest Celeb to Join OnlyFans – She Tells Why

“I’m a type 2 diabetic who’s lost his vision,” he said in an interview with ABC 7 New York. He told the TV station diabetes wasn’t the only contributing factor to his vision loss.

“I had my retinas reattached, so I didn’t really go blind just from the diabetes, but in the reattachment I have what you call scar tissue behind my eyes, so when that kind of fluctuates, my vision comes back,” he explained. “It fades out, then it comes back.”

Despite his recent health challenges, Doctor Dre remains positive about life.

“I’m very blessed and sometimes, a loss is a plus,” he told Rolling Stone. “I’m a very spiritual man. I’m a very God-fearing man. And if this is the master plan, then he’s done what he wants to do. It’s out of my control.”

Andre Brown, also known as “Dr. Dre,” became known nationally for co-hosting the groundbreaking “Yo! MTV Raps” with Ed Lover from 1988 to 1995. The show, which originally launched in 1987 with Fab 5 Freddy as host, introduced fans to their favorite artists. Dre, Long Island, NY native,  was also a co-founder of 1980s rap group Original Concept, and a DJ in New York and Los Angeles.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

The Pulse of Entertainment: Ron Howard Directs the J.D. Vance Drama ‘Hillbilly Elegy,’ Now on Netflix

Published

on

ron howard_director_hillbillyelegy
ronhoward_director_hillbillyelegy3

Seasoned actor/director Ron Howard directing on the set of the Imagine Entertainment dramatic film Hillbilly Elegy.

*“When I read the book it related to me,” said two-time Academy Award-winning film director Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind) about his interest in directing the Imagine Entertainment drama Hillbilly Elegy starring three-time Tony Award-winning Glenn Close (Air Force One), three-time Academy Award-winning Amy Adams (Arrival), and Gabriel Basso (“iCarly”). “What peak my curiosity were the family members.”

The Hillbilly Elegy drama, which premiered on Netflix on November 24, 2020, is based on the memoir (Harper Press) of J. D. Vance focusing on three generations of his Kentucky Appalachian family striving for the American dream. He is the youngest member who was forced to return home from his studies at Yale’s Law School. He also served in the Marine Corps. It highlights his rocky relationship with his mother, a heroin user, and his grandmother who took over raising him.

“My family…is in Oklahoma. I called my great-grandmother mamaw. I didn’t know it was a cultural name for grandmother,” said Howard (The Da Vinci Code) about the similarities in his family’s Oklahoma norms and JD Vance’s Appalachian family norms. “I talked to J.D.; his voice has an accent, felt familiar. I was interested in a family story that dealt with Rural Americans I could connect with.”

MORE NEWS: ‘The Real’ Hosts Catching Heat After Criticizing Inmates’ Access to TikTok [VIDEO]

Ron Howard was asked to direct the J.D. Vance memoir in 2017 after Imagine Entertainment won the rights, and Netflix required the distribution rights to it in 2019 for 45 million. The filming of Hillbilly Elegy began shortly after in Georgia and Ohio, and was completed within 43 days. Close plays Grandma Mamaw; Adams plays JD’s mother Bev; Basso plays JD; Bo Hopkins (Wyatt Earp: Return to Tombstone) plays Papaw; Haley Bennett (The Magnificent Seven) plays JD’s sister Lindsay; Frieda Pinto (Slumdog Millionaire) plays Usha; David Dwyer plays Uncle Arch; Bill Kelly plays Uncle Pet, and Owen Asztalos plays a young JD Vance. It also stars Jesse C. Boyd, Stephen Kunden, Keong Sim, Morgan Gao, Ethan Suess, and Jono Mitchell. Producers include Ron Howard, Vanessa Taylor, Brian Grazer and Karen Lunder. Rated R, Hillbilly Elegy is an Imagine Entertainment Production. www.Netflix.com

SYNDICATED COLUMN: Eunice Moseley, MS, MBA, MPhil has an estimated weekly readership of over ¼ million with The Pulse of Entertainment. She is also a Public Relations Strategist and Business Management Consultant at Freelance Associates, and is Promotions Director (at-large) for The Baltimore Times. www.ThePulseofEntertainment.com. EVENTS: “Uplifting Minds II” Entertainment Conference (ULMII), founded by Eunice in 1999, is into its 21st year. Next events are coming Baltimore Saturday April 17, 2021 at Security Square Mall and Los Angeles Saturday November 6, 2021 at (TBD). The ULMII event is a free conference offering an Entertainment Business Panel Q&A Session, a Talent Showcase and Talent Competition (vocal, songwriting, dance and acting) where aspiring artists have a chance to receive over $15,000 valued in prizes/product/services.  Log onto www.UpliftingMinds2.com for more information or email [email protected]

www.GoFundMe.com/Uplifting-Minds-II-Entertainment-Conference

Continue Reading

Books

With DNA Evidence, Patricia A. Thomas’ Prophetic Book Reveals What God Did to Dinosaurs

Published

on

Patricia Thomas1 - 20201114_115236
Patricia Thomas - 20201114_115236

Patricia Thomas

*Author Patricia A. Thomas’s one-of-a-kind book, “God Reveals a Mystery!,” is receiving great acclaim in the Christian community as she answers the puzzling question about what happened to the dinosaurs, by using The Holy Bible’s scriptures and these animals’ correct name.

With a world-wide fascination of the dinosaurs, a cloud of mystery surrounds these intimidating creatures’ demise, because their true name has been obscured over time.

However, Thomas simply explains in her book that if we use these animals’ correct name, which is in The Holy Bible, the answer to what happened to them will become eye-opening. Many know that the name dinosaur (dinosauria) was coined in 1842.

The made-up name dinosaur means “terrible lizard” in Greek, but the Adam-given name, according to Genesis 2:20, that was given to them thousands of years ago, is serpents or dragons and many know them also as snakes.

Therefore, dragons are not mythical, but were instead cursed by God during the time of the Garden of Eden, according to Genesis 3:14 (NIV):  So the Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this, Cursed are you above all livestock and all wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life.”  In other words, God’s dragons now drag on the ground.

MORE NEWS: Faizon Love Hits Universal with Discrimination Lawsuit Over ‘Couples Retreat’ Poster [VIDEO]

Patricia Thomas - God Reveals A Mystery - 20180217_171353

With unproven scientific theories such as asteroids, meteorites, and volcano eruptions explaining these animals’ demise, the truth in her book will bring all of the lies to an end.

With biblical truths that have never been written about and Dinosaur or Dragon DNA that is now available to be tested that will shatter these theories, God Reveals a Mystery! is long overdue.

The world will come to know that dragons or serpents are not extinct, but instead live among us today, in their cursed forms, and it can be scientifically proven because of God’s miraculous DNA, that He has manifested multiple times, that many said would never happen!

GOD REVEALS A MYSTERY! is available on Amazon.com.

Connect with Patricia A.Thomas on Social Media: